What is Collagen?
As its most basic explanation, collagen is described as the “glue” that keeps our bodies together. It’s found in muscles, bones, skin, blood vessels, digestive system and tendons. As the most abundant protein in the human body, it’s what gives our skin elasticity, strength and the ability for our wounds to heal. It also promotes hair growth, healthy nails and has been thought to repair joint damage.
So, why exactly do people consume it?
As part of the natural aging process, our body begins to produce less and less collagen as we age. This is exactly why you see beauty and skincare companies representing collagen as ‘the fountain of youth.’ As we lose collagen, our skin begins to thin and sag and our cartilage begins to degenerate, giving us those dreaded signs of aging like wrinkles, eye-bags, achy joints and loose skin.
What Makes True Nutrition’s Collagen Different?
Our collagen is 100% sourced from grass-fed and pasture raised cows with no added hormones, no additives and minimal processing. So, what does this mean? Unlike ‘similar’ collagen products on the market, our Collagen boasts a complete, naturally-occuring essential and nonessential amino acid profile, making it a complete protein. Practically any other collagen on the market is not a complete protein because it will lack or feature low amounts of some amino acids. With these products, you would need to supplement with another type of protein source in order for the product to benefit your body. Our bodies need both essential and nonessential amino acids to function well.
Long story short: Our Grass-fed Hydrolyzed Beef Collagen Powder can also be used as a complete protein source and makes a great substitute for a protein shake, featuring 27 grams of protein in each serving – AND it’s COMPLETELY CUSTOMIZABLE. Most other collagen powders are not a complete protein source, lack a complete amino acid profile AND don’t come in 19 delicious flavors including everything from cinnamon bun to chocolate peanut butter cup!
Why Beef Collagen?
Bovine (beef) collagen is a naturally occurring protein that provides types I and III collagen, the most abundant types of collagen found in the human body. These collagen types are also the major components of skin, hair, nails, muscles, tendons, ligaments, bones, gums, teeth, eyes and blood vessels.
It may help to treat osteoarthritis, improve gut health, build muscle, repair tissue, promote deeper sleep, improve skin quality and work as a topical treatment.
How To Get Started With Our Collagen:
Ready to start reaping the rewards of consuming collagen? True Nutrition suggests starting with 1 full scoop of our Grass-Fed Hydrolyzed Beef Collagen in approximately 12-16 fl oz of water or another favorite beverage (also great in coffee or smoothies!). A shaker cup or blender is recommended to ensure even mixing.
Yours in health,
PS- We love to see your creations with our products! Be sure to tag us on social media for a chance to be featured on our pages.
- Scala J, Hollies N, Sucher KP. Effect of daily gelatin ingestion on human scalp hair. Nutr Rep Int 1976;13:579-92.
- Morganti P, Randazzo SD. Nutrition and hair. J Appl Cosmetol1984;2:41-9.
- Tyson TL. The effect of gelatin on fragile finger nails. Invest Dermatol1950;14:323-5.
- Rosenberg S, Oster KA, Kallos A, Burroughs W. Further studies in the use of gelatin in the treatment of brittle nails. AMA Arch Derm 1957;76:330-5.
- Bello AE1, Oesser S. Collagen hydrolysate for the treatment of osteoarthritis and other joint disorders: a review of the literature. Curr Med Res Opin. 2006 Nov;22(11):2221-32.
- Yamadera, Wataru, et al. “Glycine ingestion improves subjective sleep quality in human volunteers, correlating with polysomnographic changes.” Sleep and Biological rhythms 5.2 (2007): 126-131.
- Bannai, Makoto, and Nobuhiro Kawai. “New therapeutic strategy for amino acid medicine: glycine improves the quality of sleep.” Journal of Pharmacological Sciences 118.2 (2012): 145.