We’ve all heard it before, “breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Many of us, however, simply don’t have the time to sit down and enjoy a hearty scramble with a cup of joe and the morning news. Unfortunately, that leaves the sugar-packed goodies behind the glass case at your local coffee shop looking like a good option. Although it is convenient, we all know those pastries are not helping us reach our fitness goals, and most likely aren’t fitting into our macros.
Fear Not! Once again, Meg from My Engineered Nutrition is there with the spot and crafted an amazing Protein Scone recipe for us to recreate. With fresh blueberries and a hint of lemon, these protein scones and guaranteed to crush those morning cravings and fuel your body with 175 calories, 12g of protein, 24g of Carbohydrates, and only 3.5g of fat.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 17-20 minutes
Servings: 8 scones
- 3/4 cup Lemon Cake Pea Protein (3 scoops) *Any lemon flavored or vanilla flavored pea protein would work here as well!
- 1-1/4 cup gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 c nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 c + 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (almond, soy, cashew)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 c organic fresh blueberries
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Prepare baking sheet – line with parchment paper.
In mixing bowl: combine your dry ingredients: pea protein, flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and coconut palm sugar, whisking to combine.
- In separate bowl: combine all remaining ingredients, except for the blueberries. Stir to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Mix until a dough is formed.
- Add blueberries into the dough, ensuring they are mixed evenly throughout.
- Form dough into round disk, about 10″ in diameter, on your parchment paper lined baking sheet. Slice into 8 equal parts and separate slightly before baking.
- Bake in oven for 17-20 minutes. Test the scones by inserting a toothpick into the center – they are baked completely when it comes out clean.
- Serve immediately or allow to cool completely and store in an air-tight container for later.
Nutritional Information (1 scone):
175 calories – 12 g Protein, 24 g Carbohydrates, 3.5 g Fat