Photo courtesy of Meg Gunther of myengineerednutrition.com.
10 Grams of Protein/17.5 Grams of Carbohydrates/125 Calories/1.7 Grams of Fat (1 Muffin)
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Bake Time: 15 Minutes
Servings: 9 Muffins
Everyone enjoys indulging from time to time, but when you can both indulge in something sweet AND stay true to your nutrition goals, well that’s what we call a win-win. Luckily for us, our queen of the recipe Meg Gunther from My Engineered Nutrition has created a delectable recipe that is not only protein and carb packed, but also low-sugar and low-fat.
My Engineered Nutrition decided to celebrate its one year anniversary by creating what Meg (and her boyfriend/test pilot) are calling her best baked recipe to date. “My boyfriend has told me that these are the best thing I have ever made and mind you, he has tried all 62 of those recipes,” enthuses Meg.
Meg uses True Nutrition’s Cinnamon Bun Whey Protein in this simple and amazing recipe, so these muffins are easy-to-pack protein super muffins that are the perfect way to start the day, or a great treat when you need something to satiate your sweet tooth.
- 1 cup of gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour (or regular flour)
- 2 scoops of True Nutrition Cinnamon Bun Whey Protein
- 2 tablespoons of coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ tablespoon of baking soda
- ¼ tablespoon of salt
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt (2%)
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of coconut palm sugar
- ½ tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour (or regular flour)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Prepare your muffin tin by greasing it with coconut oil or butter and set aside
- In a small bowl, combine all of the dry crumb topping ingredients. Cut the butter into very small pieces and then add to the dry ingredients. Mix the ingredients with a fork until the butter has formed into small balls and is well coated and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients including: whey protein, flour, coconut palm sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Combine your wet ingredients in a stand mixer or large mixing bowl with hand mixer: Greek yogurt, egg, applesauce and vanilla. Mix these ingredients at a medium speed until mix is well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix at medium speed until incorporated.
- Spoon the batter among 9 muffins. Top each each with an equal amount of the crumb topping. Bake the muffins for 15 mins or until a toothpick inserted into the muffins comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for at least 5 minutes in tin before removing. Serve warm and enjoy, or store in air-tight container to enjoy later.