In recent years, the amino acid arginine has been used in various forms to promote increased blood flow and vascularity through the production of nitric oxide. Its popularity can be seen in a wide variety of cardiovascular health products, as well as in a majority of the pre-workout supplements that are currently available on the market. More recent discoveries have shown that agmatine, the decarboxylation product of the amino acid arginine, may show a positive response in increasing the amount of nitric oxide that is produced in the human body, along with several other potential health benefits2.
Agmatine is derived from arginine using a chemical reaction that eliminates the carboxylic acid end from the molecule1. The resulting structure serves to regulate the production of nitric oxide synthase (NOS), which then influences the amount of nitric oxide that is released into the bloodstream2. Increased blood flow, in turn, creates an increase in the amount of vital nutrients and oxygen that can be supplied to the muscles, which is a key component in healthy exercise2. This has led many to label agmatine as a form of “Super Arginine.”*
Studies suggest that agmatine may also be responsible for the production and release of several peptide hormones, including the growth hormone (GH), luteinizing hormone (LH), and pituitary hormone2. As a neurotransmitter, agmatine is released through the process of membrane depolization to block NMDA receptors and other cation ligand-gated channels3. This poses the potential for increased learning and memory functions3.
True Nutrition currently offers Agmatine Sulfate in powder form. Agmatine is produced naturally through normal body processes, however it may not be produced and distributed throughout the body at a rate of efficacy to meet the above claims2,3, which has led many to include the material as part of their dietary supplement regimes. True Nutrition recommends a Serving Size of 1,000mg be taken 1 time daily prior to exercise.
True Nutrition‘s Agmatine Sulfate can be combined with other key nutrients to create a powerful pre-workout stack, or added to one of our proprietary pre-workout supplement formulas for increased effectiveness:*
- Branch Chain Aminos Acids Powder (100 Grams)
- Citrulline Malate Powder (100 Grams)
- L-Glutamine Powder (100 Grams)
- BCAA Plus (90 Servings)
*DISCLAIMER: The above description is provided for information only and does not constitute medical advice. Please consult your physician or the appropriately licensed professional before engaging in a program of exercise or nutritional supplementation. No information in this site has been reviewed by the FDA. No product is intended to treat, diagnose, or cure any disease.
1. Chemical Entities of Biological Interest. UK: European Bioinformatics Institute. 15 August 2008. Main. Retrieved 27 June 2013.
2. Kim, J. H.; Yenari, M. A.; Giffard, R. G.; Cho, S. W.; Park, K. A.; Lee, J. E. (2004). “Agmatine reduces infarct area in a mouse model of transient focal cerebral ischemia and protects cultured neurons from ischemia-like injury”. Experimental Neurology 189 (1): 122â€“130.
3. Tijen Utkan, Semil S. Gocmez, Soundararajan Regunathan, Feyza Aricioglu, Agmatine, a metabolite of L-arginine, reverses scopolamine-induced learning and memory impairment in rats, Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior, Volume 102, Issue 4, October 2012, Pages 578-584.